Thursday, February 10, 2011

Narrative Medicine

I have mentioned before that I enjoy reading a blog by pediatrician Bryan Vartabedian, MD-http://33charts.com/2011/02/narrative-medicine-parallel-chart.html#comments.
He had a link today for a graduate program at Columbia University in Narrative Medicine - see   http://ce.columbia.edu/Narrative-Medicine

I have so many books that I have loved because they humanized the medical experiences of people. Case studies are clinical - we look for medical details and clues to help us work through the assessment process and develop differential diagnosis. Even the social history is clinical, factual, and dry. Not that I am arguing to change our charting! For legal reasons documentation should be factual and concise. It would be an interesting "book club" of sorts to develop case studies that were narrative versions of what we really experience with out patients.

These are books that capture for me a narrative experience of medicine. 




These books enlightened my soul and brought a fuller dimension to the disease process we humans experience.  I would love to hear of books that have inspired you. I would also love to hear your thoughts about "Narrative Medicine" and how you think it could enhance the work we do as PNP's! 

No comments:

Post a Comment