Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Licensure by endorsement

After 20 years of living in Alaska, my husband and I are leaving this beautiful state for the "lower 48." It is a big move that has been instigated by my husband's retirement and a need to be closer to my grown children and grandchildren. This is a good thing, perhaps one of the best reasons for moving. Still it is hard to uproot from a truly beautiful place, with abundant clean water, views to die for, and wonderful friends. Not that Sitka does not have challenges, can you say, r.a.i.n.f.o.r.e.s.t?

We lived in Seattle and there are plenty of jokes about rain in that area - but living in any community in Southeast Alaska brings a new reality about that climate zone! You do come to love the many shades of grey and appreciate the rain for the clean water, abundant salmon streams, and cheap hydro-electricity it affords. In many ways, Sitka is one of the best kept secrets in the United States - a real gem of a community in terms of quality of life.

So I am now in the position of changing my license to practice from Alaska to another state. I think what surprised me most is that I need to go back to the schools of nursing I attended and have yet another transcript sent to a Board of Nursing! Why do we make it so hard? Does one State not trust that another State has done due diligence to determine that I am indeed who I say I am and safe to practice? It makes sense that I need to apply to another State for permission to practice in that State - after all, our republic grants individual states  rights to regulate and manage their own affairs in these matters. I am not asking for a "universal" license! I am asking for common sense to prevail, and for nursing to examine how barriers that are self created can contribute to a nursing shortage.

I realize that I am speaking to the choir here, but perhaps this is an area that our leadership can influence change for the future. Lets find ways to be more" inviting" to nurses as they move in this mobile society we live in!

No comments:

Post a Comment