Wednesday, February 16, 2011

MAPS AND DIRECTIONS

I work with adolescents. I should know that I need to break down directions, instructions into small parts - with a visual - like a map! Looking at the many pamphlets and handouts we have in our clinic, I am curious why there is so much information on a page? Perhaps it is time to rethink the way we distribute information to teens. How about if we just give a few facts with pictures, and then, for the curious and bright, we offer them links to Internet sites for additional reading.

Recently I have sent a few teens to the hospital, which is just a 5 minute walk down a driveway from our clinic, only to have them get lost and end up in the wrong clinic - sometimes being seen again for the same problem! Before the teen leaves me, I show them a map of the hospital, tell them where to go and what to do when they are finished. It seems straightforward enough, but the results tell me otherwise.

Enter technology! Nearly every teen in my practice has a cell phone - and not hidden! What if they enter in the phone the directions and time? Will that improve the referral process?

Remember the Palm Pilot TX? What I loved about that handheld technology was that you could "beam" information from one persons' Palm to the next. I want to "beam" information to my  teens! I need the speed of beaming to make it work for a busy clinic practice.

Suggestions are welcome - how can we reduce our paper dependancy and yet give fast and accurate information in our practices? Inquiring minds want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment